New Mexico Heritage Preservation Alliance shared a post.
4 weeks ago
Many people have been asking about the history on the old Clovis flour mill lost today in the fire downtown so I am sharing details from our historical data base of culturally contributing properties in our historic downtown district. This was a very recognizable and impactful property to the agricultural heritage of our community, it is a shame to see buildings like these reduced to the condition it was in and lost this way. Help us save our historic buildings and cultural assets, they are our community roots.
Clovis Mill and Elevator Company, 213 East First Street.
"The Clovis Mill and Elevator Company building, constructed in 1916 as noted on the Sanborn maps, is a frame structure sheathed in corrugated metal. The structure is comprised of multiple blocks at varying levels. The central, gabled section is three stories with numerous two-over two, wood-framed windows. The grain elevator with varying shoots coming off the rear elevation adjoins an inactive railroad spur. Additional shed-roofed blocks extend from the north, east, and west elevations. A ghost of “The Home of the Golden West Flour” appears on the south elevation, and a red and yellow sign is also located on the north (front) elevation. A long shed building to the immediate west appears to be associated with the mill; it is non-contributing due to alterations. The company is found in the 1932 city directory."
"Businesses such as Clovis Mill and Elevator Company (ca. 1916) and Waples-Platter Company (ca. 1920), another grocer’s warehouse managed by local rancher Robert E. Lee, were established in the early twentieth century. Railroad spurs leading to the backs of each building aided in easy loading of produce, flour, and grain. In 1932, the Clovis Mill used the tagline: “Use Golden West and Sunlight Flour, Satisfaction Guaranteed” and “We Want Your Grain." Both businesses functioned in these locations until the 1950s, although the mill and elevator was then known as the Farmers Co-op Flour Mill. By the mid1950s, Waples-Platter Company moved to 1440 North Main Street. Another early grain supplier, Stone Grain & Elevator Company, was located at 421 East First Street by the late 1930s." ... See MoreSee Less
Nuevo Mexico Profundo Event – August 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Experience authentic northern New Mexican culture in a historic setting. The program includes opening prayers in song, the recent history of San Rafael, and acoustic New Mexican traditional music by Lone Pinon.
For tickets and more information, visit: www.nuevo-mexico-profundo.com/ ... See MoreSee Less
The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is offering a new online/on-demand course, Early Coordination with Indian Tribes for Infrastructure Projects. The 90-minute course can be completed over a 30-day period. The course is geared toward applicants for federal permits, licenses, or funding as well as federal permitting agencies and staff working with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA). The free course is available at go.usa.gov/xymXA ... See MoreSee Less